Sunday, November 9, 2014

Deacons and the New Evangelization

On November 8th, I attended the annual regional gathering of Permanent Deacons, held by the National Association of Diaconate Directors (NADD).  This year's hosts were the deacons of the Archdiocese of Boston.  Our theme was the deacon's role in implementing the program of the New Evangelization, in our local parishes, and in our wider society. 

Just a couple of thoughts, while I am between Masses this Sunday.  Every practicing Catholic is called to be an evangelizer.  Called to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ, by word and action.  Called to invite those who have fallen away from the Church, by loving them.

Deacons are well positioned for this, because we live our vocation to serve, to proclaim the Good News, not just in Church; but also in our homes, offices, the marketplace, and on the streets.  A nun, Mother Olga, said that when we wake up for the day, we are deacons, open to serving others, at every moment.  Open to speaking the Good News, by word and action, to everyone we come in contact with.  And thus, we can become examples to others on what it truly means to be Evangelizers.

2 comments:

  1. New blog layout? Looks nice. :)

    If I make it to your parish (I live nearby), want me to say hi? I'm kind of shy in real life, but I could manage a smile and a wave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would be happy to meet you. I usually stand outside the main entrance after Mass at St. John's. We have Mass at 4PM on Saturday; and 8:15 AM, and 12:00 Noon on Sunday. Pax

    ReplyDelete